Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Balancing Act

Well, it's been 2 weeks since my liberation procedure and I don't feel that much different, although I am noticing some subtle changes, especially in my balance.  What's weird about my balance is that I seem to be more inclined to be off-balance than before?? but I also seem to be better able to balance myself when I try.  I know, it sounds a bit confusing...I'll try to explain...

When I am walking around the house, I seem to be more off balance.  Now... is that because I am walking more quickly, or because I seem to be taking longer, smoother strides than before and this somehow tests my balance more??  At any rate, I seem to be catching myself a bit more often.   The strange thing is, that when I do catch myself losing my balance, if I try, I can hold the balance better!?  For example...I was turning from the sink in the washroom to go out the door, and as I was turning, I noticed that I was starting to tilt a bit as I stepped forward.  As I teetered on one foot, I managed to hold myself upright for a few seconds before placing my other foot on the ground.  I have not been able to do that for the past year and a half.  I also noticed this morning, as I was putting on shorts, that I can stand on one foot fractionally longer than I previously could.

So, I thought to myself, "Hmmm...wonder if I should try the heel-to-toe test?".  Down to the hallway I go.  And very slowly and carefully I place one foot in front of the other.  I wobbled a bit, had to put my hand out to the wall once or twice, but instead of looking like I was on a tight rope, it now looked like I was walking along a balance beam.  Am I imagining it?...I don't think so. 

I don't understand how I am able to do that test better, as the numbness in my hands and feet has not changed and the numbness is a huge factor in my propioception or lack thereof.  I probably shouldn't over-analyze it...as I often do...and just accept that maybe, just maybe, I AM improving.  Wonder of wonders!

No comments :

Post a Comment